عن أبي هريرة رضي الله عنه مرفوعاً: «الفِطرة خَمْسٌ: الخِتَان، والاسْتِحدَاد، وقَصُّ الشَّارِب، وتَقلِيمُ الأَظفَارِ، ونَتْفُ الإِبِط». [صحيح] - [متفق عليه] المزيــد ...
Abu Hurayra (may Allah be pleased with him) reported that the Prophet (may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him) said: "Five are the acts of Fitrah: circumcision, shaving the pubic hair, cutting the mustache, clipping the nails, and plucking the armpit hair." Sahih/Authentic. - [Al-Bukhari and Muslim]
Abu Hurayra (may Allah be pleased with him) mentioned that he had heard the Prophet (may Allah's peace and blessings be upon him) say that five acts are part of the religion of Islam, upon which Allah, the Almighty, created people. Whoever acts upon them, indeed fulfills great characteristics of this true religion.
These five acts mentioned in the Hadīth are part of the cleanliness routine that Islam has introduced.
1. Cutting off the foreskin of the male organ: which, if left, will cause impurities and dirt to accumulate, leading to diseases and wounds.
2. Shaving the pubic hair: whether found in the front or back of the sexual organ, for if left unshaved, it makes it exposed to impurities, and it may also cause the Shar‘i purification to be imperfect.
3. Cutting the mustache: which, if left uncut, will deform one's facial look. It is disliked to drink after a man with a mustache. Also, growing a mustache is considered an act of imitation of the Magi.
4. Clipping the nails: which, if left uncut, will cause dirt to gather underneath them and get mixed with food, causing diseases.
Unclipped nails may undermine perfection of the purification as they cover part of the areas that should be reached by water.
5. Plucking the hair found in the armpits: which, if left, will cause an offensive odor.
The Fitrah (natural disposition) Allah Almighty created calls to all types of good and discourages all evils.
Five traits are part of the fitrah. This number is not meant to be restrictive, because number is not meant restrictive here. Another hadīth recorded by Muslim lists ten traits as part of the fitrah.
It is permitted to pay continuous care to these traits and not neglect them.
These five noble traits are part of the Fitrah Allah created. He loves them, commanded their observance, instilled their love in people with sound taste, and made them averse to their opposite.
The religion of Islam calls for cleanliness, beauty, and excellence.
These traits offer religious and worldly benefits, such as good appearance, cleanliness of the body, keenness of purification, opposing the defining traits of disbelievers, and complying with the commands of the Lawgiver (Allah).
What some young men and women do today, like growing their fingernails or growing the mustaches in the case of males, is among the things prohibited under Shariah and detestable by reason and good taste. Islam commands only what is beautiful and forbids what is ugly. However, the blind imitation of the Westerners has changed the facts, beautified the ugly and made what is deemed good by taste, reason, and Shariah seem repulsive.